Designing a Custom Home
The American dream for most of us is to own our home, no matter the size, that homeownership means you have reached that goal. Then, as we move up the career ladder and our families grow or our lives change, some of us start looking at a custom home. One thing to note if you are considering this is that custom home trends in the area have evolved over the years, with some things staying the same, and some things changing drastically.
When going with a custom home, trends can come from a variety of custom home ideas. Some are necessary, but not everyone has to have the same thing. Other ideas are simply an individual choice and desire. But are things you don’t want to forget or skip regardless of the current custom home trends?
What are must-haves when building a new home?
There are many benefits of custom home building, and the following 10 things are what experts, or those who have previously traveled the custom home process, recommend as a “must-have”:
- Spray Foam Insulation: One of the biggest custom home trends today is having them built to be more energy efficient. But upgrading that to include spray foam insulation will take your energy efficiency up a few more notches. Yes, it will cost more, but the ROI will pay you back for years.
- Wood Flooring: One of the most popular custom home trends is wood flooring. So popular in fact, it is pretty much a staple by most custom home builders.
- Built-in Speakers: Custom home trends come and go, but the built-in surround sound and speakers arrived a few years back and don’t look like it’s going anywhere anytime soon!
- Outdoor Kitchens: The outdoor kitchen has been among the popular custom home trends for a few years, but after COVID 19 quarantine, this has become a must-have! We were stuck at home inside 4 walls with nowhere to go. This extension to our home gave us some outdoor pleasure and is probably here to stay.
- Pot Filler: For families or homeowner that loves to cook, this may be one of the most popular custom home trends to hit the market. No more carrying a heavy pot filled with water and potatoes from the sink to the stove!
- Spice Rack: Another of the many custom home trends for the homeowner that loves to cook and wants it all organized.
- Stand Alone Bathtub: The master bath has been a custom home trend for ages. But today, we want it full of luxury to pamper ourselves in relaxation. Nothing can do that better than a separate tub that allows us to soak our tired bodies.
- Organization: Walk-in closets have long been one of the many custom home trends, but today, we want them organized with specific places for specific things, like shoe shelves and more.
- Under Cabinet Lights & Electrical Outlets: Popular among the custom home trends are under cabinet lighting and a lot of electrical outlets.
- A Mudroom: A mudroom is great for keeping the shoes and coats, so the kids aren’t tracking mud through the house. And with built-in organization and storage, even better!
What should you not forget when building a new house?
If this is your first custom home to build, there are a few things you may think are standard, but they aren’t! These may seem small, and your builder may include them, or ask about them, but don’t depend on that!
SWITCHES AND OUTLETS
These are things that will affect your daily life, so get them right now! Is the light switch by the door when you walk into a room? Do you need a light in the pantry? Do you charge your cell phone by your bed or in the kitchen? Are there ample power outlets inside and outside of the house? Does the garage have enough outlets? Don’t forget your internet connection and outlets for the router and more.
Decide now where the television will be located and have the electrical outlets and other functions ready. Not just in the den or family room, but will you have a television in the bedrooms or a playroom? The outdoor living area or the garage?
If there is any member of your family taller than 6ft, this should be a consideration for the showerhead installation. Get it right for the builder now so you don’t have after-market fitting expenses.
Before the walls go up, get those popular custom home trends installed now like a recessed toiletry compartment and recessed medicine cabinet. These can be built into the stud space so they look natural.
KITCHEN CABINETRY FEATURES
Undercabinet lighting is one of the most popular custom home trends; another is how pots and pans are stored. They make cabinetry specifically for these big and odd-shaped pieces today. Now is the time to get them while they are building your dream home.
Should I stay neutral with paint colors?
Definitely stay neutral with the paint! Neutral paint color will connect the rooms throughout your home, especially if you’re going with the popular custom home trends of open concept design plans. Neutral color puts a tad of color in the room, and white baseboard and trims will give the room pop!
What are some of the best ROI additions in custom home builds today?
Whether this is your forever home of you plan to be selling it in a few years, some of the best custom home additions that you’ll enjoy or will attract more buyers are:
- Custom Garage Doors
- Steel front and back doors
- Open floor plans
- Finished basement
- Stone veneer trim on the exterior
What are some unique home additions to consider or avoid in custom home builds?
Trends are often to “do your thing”, but should you? Not every homeowner after you will be into the same phase of life as you. Don’t impose your unique home design in a neighborhood where it doesn’t belong. If the homes around you are of a historic nature, this isn’t the place to have a Frank Lloyd Wright-style home built and vice versa.
In Closing – Nothing Last Forever
Nothing lasts forever, including custom home trends. Where the pass-through window was popular in homes during the 70s, today it is the kitchen that easily flows into the outdoor living area. So, what custom home trends will last?
- Non-Carpeted Flooring
- Outdoor Spaces and Features Elevated
- Luxurious Bathrooms
- The Outdoors Inside the House
- Sustainability and Technology
- Bold Industrial Kitchens
Keep all these things in mind while you are working on your custom home design.